- “Owning This,” an essay, published in the anthology SCRATCH: Writers, Money, and the Art of Making A Living edited by Manjula Martin, Jan 2017
- “What It Means to be a Writer in the Time of Trump” The Huffington Post, Nov 2016
- “Writers on Writing,” Julia Fierro interviewed by Gabriel Packard for The Writer, Oct 2016
- First Draft: A Dialogue on Writing, Julia Fierro interviewed by Mitzi Rapkin on Aspen Public Radio, Dec 2015
- “A Day In The Life” series, BookCountry, Nov 2015
- “From Craigslist to Community: The Sackett Street Writers’ Workshop” feature on Literary Hub, Nov 2015
- “Capelli Lunghi” (an essay) published in the anthology, “Me, My Hair and I: 27 Women Untangle an Obsession,” edited by Elizabeth Benedict and published by Algonquin Books, Sept 2015
- A Writer’s Comeback: How I Built My Own Literary Scene and Saved Myself by Julia Fierro for Poets & Writers, Sept/Oct 2014
- Academic Alternatives: The DIY MFA, feature on The Sackett Street Writers’ Workshop, Poets & Writers, Sept/Oct 2014
- The Rumpus Interview with Julia Fierro, interview by Meredith Turits, June 6th
- That Time A Photo of My Two-Year-Old Daughter Went Viral, HuffPost Parents
- Not Another Mommy Book: Julia Fierro Discusses her Debut Novel, interview by Orli Van Mourik, Brooklyn Based, May 29th
- Fiction’s Most Dysfunctional Parents: A List by Julia Fierro for HuffPost Books, May 23rd
- Julia Fierro: The Nervous Breakdown Self Interview, The Nervous Breakdown, May 16th
- In Conversation with Julia Fierro, interview by Scott Cheshire, Tottenville Review, May 16th
- Finding Empathy for my Father: A Personal Essay, Psychology Today, May 15th
- Julia Fierro Cuts Deep, interview by Royal Young for Interview Magazine, May 13th
- Cutting Teeth: A Late Night Interview with Julia Fierro, interview by Cari Luna, Tin House, May 13th
Press for the Cutting Teeth-inspired Parenting Confessional Tumblr:
- Searching for the Light Switch: An Interview with Julia Fierro, Fiction Writers Review, April 24th
- Read First, Ask Later Radio interview with Marc Bonanno and John Nardone April 20th
- “A Writer’s Block: A Writer Finds Her Happy Ending on Sackett Street” American Magazine April issue
- “The Parenting Fear I Couldn’t Hide–And Still Apologize For” HuffPost Parents essay
My responses on a variety of novel-writing topics, including how “not writing” can turn out be a good thing; confessions of my many one-night-stands with novels; writing while working; writing while parenting; self-loathing; motivation; sharing your work, and the ways I tricked myself into not giving up in the 10+ years it took me to reach publication.
It’s an honor to be included in this thought-provoking article on sexism in the literary world along with four seriously brilliant writers (who also have a great sense of humor), Roxane Gay, Adelle Waldman, Lydia Millet & Ayelet Waldman.
- Julia’s PEN American Center interview featured on Maria Popova’s Brain Pickings‘ EXPLORE, and Andrew Sullivan’s THE DISH.
- Julia Fierro of the Sackett Street Writers’ Workshop: BROOKLYN LIT 101 – profile in Brooklyn Magazine‘s “BROOKLYN 20” issue.Interview by Kristin Iversen
- My Time Was Spent Years Ago: A Conversation with Writers and Mothers Aimee Phan and Julia Fierro: Her Kind: A Literary Community powered by VIDA: Women in the Literary Arts, May 2013
- A Sentimental Education: Sex and the Literary Writer : The Millions on 3/27/13 Also featured on Andrew Sullivan’s The Dish
- ‘Dark’ and ‘Funny’ Novel Explores Lives of Cobble Hill Parents–Cutting Teeth featured in article on DNAInfo.com
- Inventory, an excerpt from my novel, Cutting Teeth (St. Martin’s Press, 2014), was included in Guernica Magazine‘s end-of-days issue, which ran the week of 12/21/12.
- My personal essay, Salvaged, about the recovery of my parents’ home after it was nearly devastated by hurricane Sandy, was publishedin Underwater New York.